Can someone die in their sleep without waking up due to fire?

admin
Read Time:3 Minute, 28 Second

There are two cases here based on where you sleep.

  • A closed environment (air-conditioned room)
  • Open place (easy airflow)

For suppose if someone sleeps in a closed environment like an air-conditioned room and when the fire rapidly grows then oxygen available in the room will be exhausted fastly and produce large amounts of Carbon Monoxide (CO).

Unlike Carbon Dioxide, Monoxide doesn’t produce the feeling of suffocation that one feels when ‘running out of air.’ As Carbon Monoxide builds up, it displaces oxygen in the bloodstream, and the person loses consciousness while in sleep.

The symptoms of CO poisoning tend to be mild at first – headache, dizziness, weakness. These are all things that are irrelevant if you’re already asleep. It progresses to confusion, blurred vision, and unconsciousness. In other words, a person who is asleep won’t show or feel any symptoms at all – CO poisoning and going to sleep are basically the same thing. Death from CO, for a person who is asleep, would be literally painless. They would never know that anything at all had happened.

For suppose if a person is sleeping in an open environment then he/she can possibly get to know about fire in the surroundings and one can possibly save themself from fire.

Here is the news article that a family of five were died in sleep due to fire in an air-conditioned room. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/family-of-five-charred-to-death-after-short-circuit-in-air-conditioner/story-JCRmnIrlen37DqqgahINBO.html

AIR CONDITIONER FIRES & HOW TO PREVENT THEM:

  • Do not plug your AC to a power extension cord. A 1-ton AC may consume between 900 to 1200 W of power (some units may consume even more power) which is much higher than a mobile phone (2 to 6W) or a laptop (20-50 W). Plugging it to a power extension cord will increase the risk of the cord and subsequently, the machine, catching fire, so reserve a switch for the appliance instead.
  • This electrical socket must be easily accessible so you can switch it off in an emergency situation. The wires should be placed in such a manner that they do not become a trip hazard.
  • Ensure that no water source, like a tap, is near the unit. Place the unit in such a way that even accidentally, water doesn’t spill over the unit. Also, avoid placing decorative items, like flowers upon the unit.
  • Keep the unit and wires away from hot surfaces that may damage the wire insulation.
  • Get the AC and electric socket checked regularly. Since they are high voltage units, this precautionary measure is a must.
  • It is advised to let only professionals install an AC at your home so they can check for water seepage, the correct socket for installation, etc.
  • If any parts (external or internal) are damaged or broken, have them repaired immediately. Tell-tale signs like weird noises, nasty smell or reduced cooling, etc. should not be ignored.

source: https://qr.ae/pN2Yiu

Terms of Service: http://www.quora.com/about/tos

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Some common facts about Indian currency!

Do you ever notice the small circles on the Rs.2000 note? If we look perfectly, the Rs.2000 note has 9 and 11 bubbles on the front and 16 bubbles on the backside as shown in the above picture. These numbers indicate the day on which the 2000 note was launched. […]

Subscribe US Now